Renters and Dog Ownership
Do you own (or wish to own) dogs but rent? Yes, it can be very difficult to find a place to live that accepts your pets here in southern California. However, there are a number of resources available to help you find a pet-friendly rental.
SCLRR gets many calls from people giving up their pets because they are moving and/or cannot find a place to live with their dog. In the hopes of making it easier to find such a place, we’ve listed tips and resources below. Even though the pet-friendly rental market is pretty tight in this area, they are definitely out there.
This is also why we require a copy of the written agreement to allow pets from those applying to adopt from us who rent.
Some tips (from an article published in the LA Times, July 8 2001, page K1; which in turn derived them from similar HSUS publications):
- Plan ahead. Make sure you have plenty of time to find rental housing.
- Check resources, which include: the local humane society, local animal control authorities, local real estate brokers, and online resources listing pet friendly apartments.
- Show that you’re a responsible owner: Assemble a “resume” for your pet that includes a letter from your vet, a spay/neuter certificate, vaccination record, flea control, a letter of referral from a previous landlord, certificates or letters showing any obedience classes taken.
- Let the landlord know that you are also concerned about cleanliness: emphasize that your pet is housetrained, and that you pick up all of the waste outside.
- Point out that because it’s so difficult to find a place that accepts
pets, you’re more likely to be a stable, long term renter.
- Offer to bring your pet over to meet the property manager to show how clean and well behaved your pet is.
- Be willing to pay a little more in the way of a pet security deposit.
- Get any agreement in writing. Sign a pet addendum to your rental agreement. Note any pet security deposit, which may or may not be refundable. Request a copy of any house rules pertaining to pets.
Some resources for finding housing for you and your companion animals (click on the bold-type links below):
- PeopleWithPets.com California
- FidoFriendly in California
- HotPads Los Angeles area
- Zillow Pet Friendly in Los Angeles area
- Trulia Pet Friendly in Los Angeles area
- RentCafe Pet Friendly in California
- Humane Society of the United States — Finding Animal-Friendly Apartments
- Dana Point/So. Laguna Beach, CA: Garden Apartments furnished and unfurnished. No size limit on dogs. Contact Coastal Diggs Boutique Rentals. Email CoastalDiggs@gmail.com or call 949-547-6527.
- Huntington Beach, CA: Maddox Apartments 7051 Maddox Drive. 92647 (714) 842-0788. Pets welcome without weight restriction.